Last updated October 4th, 2019
- 06 Jan 2018 17:31:10 PST, (34.400, -120.025), depth 2.3km, 15km W of Isla Vista, California
- Aftershocks: so far there have been no aftershocks recorded. Some may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 4 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest was M4.8 (2013/05/29) and the most recent was M4.1 on 17 May 2017.
- Nearby faults: Glen Annie fault (11.1 km) and Mission Ridge fault system, More Ranch section (More Ranch fault) (11.7 km).
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI, waveforms.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.