Last updated October 4th, 2019
- 17 Dec 2015 16:21:00 PST, (33.257, -115.718), depth 3.5km, 10km S of Bombay Beach, California
- Aftershocks: so far (22 Dec 2015) there have been 3 aftershocks recorded, the largest M1.9. More may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 8 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest was M4.8 (2009/03/24) and the most recent was M4.8 on 24 Mar 2009.
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.