- 26 Oct 2017 16:18:28 PDT, (33.462, -118.183), depth 10.7km, 19km NE of Avalon, California
- Aftershocks: so far there have been no aftershocks recorded. Some may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 4 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest was M4.8 (1988/11/20) and the most recent was M4.8 on 20 Nov 1988.
- Nearby faults: Coronado Bank fault zone, Coronado Bank-Palos Verdes section (9.8 km), Palos Verdes fault zone, San Pedro shelf section (Palos Verdes fault) (11.0 km) and Santa Cruz_Santa Catalina Ridge fault zone (26.2 km).
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI, waveforms.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.
Below are the waveform data associated with this event, as recorded in our Live Seismograms Feed.