Last updated May 22nd, 2019
- 21 Jun 2016 14:55:47 PDT, (32.973, -115.572), depth 14.8km, 4km W of Brawley, California
- Aftershocks: so far (21 Jun 2016, 03:57PM PDT) there have been 9 aftershocks recorded, the largest M2.4. More may be expected in the next few days, the largest expected is approximately 1 magnitude unit smaller than the mainshock. There is a small chance (about 5%) that a larger quake could occur, with the likelihood decreasing over time.
- Historical seismicity: since our records began in 1932 we’ve had 56 events of M4 or greater within 10km of today’s event, the largest was M5.8 (1979/10/16) and the most recent was M4.2 on 28 Aug 2012.
- Nearby faults: Imperial fault (4.7 km), Brawley seismic zone (Brawley fault zone) (9.1 km), San Jacinto fault zone, Superstition Hills section (Superstition Hills flt) (11.3 km).
- Links for: USGS earthquake page, ShakeMap, DYFI.
- Visit our special reports page for further information on local notable earthquakes.